How we create value with digital technologies – for companies, customers, society and our environment.
Jan vom Brocke
Prof. | Dr. | Partner
Institute Director Institute for Business Information Systems
Chair of department Hilti Lehrstuhl für Business Process Management
Academic Director PhD in Business Economics
Prof. Dr. Jan vom Brocke is one of the leading scientists in the field of digitalization. He holds the Hilti Chair for Business Process Management and is Director of the Institute for Business Informatics at the University of Liechtenstein as well as a lecturer at the Universities of St.Gallen and Lucerne. A recent Stanford study ranks Jan vom Brocke among the 0.5% of the world’s most cited scientists in all disciplines, and Wirtschaftswoche magazine repeatedly ranks Jan vom Brocke among the top 20 management professors in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Jan vom Brocke has experience from more than 400 studies on digitalization projects, which he has published in renowned journals, including the MIT Sloan Management Review. He is the author and editor of 44 books, many of them considered best sellers in management and digitalization, such as the book “Business Process Management Cases – Digital Innovation and Business Transformation in Practice”.
Jan vom Brocke has received over 20 international awards and has been named a Fellow of the World Association for Information Systems. The work of his chair has been widely featured in the press, including the Wall Street Journal, Daily Mail, and Telegraph. Professor vom Brocke has teaching experience at 24 universities in 13 countries, including several Financial Times Top 50 Business Schools, such as HSG Executive School for Management, Technology and Law at the University of St. Gallen in Switzerland and UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School in Ireland. Jan has many years of experience in guiding DAX 30 and Fortune 500 companies as well as government institutions on the path to digitalization.
- Gerster, D., vom Brocke, J., Conboy, K., Dremel, Ch., Mayer, R. (2021), Managing Time Complexity through Agility: The Cases of Fujitsu’s World Record and Four Fortune 500 Companies, in: MIS Quarterly Executive (MISQe).
- Grisold, T., Mendling, J., Otto, M., vom Brocke, J. (2020). Adoption, Use and Management of Process Mining in Practice. Business Process Management Journal (BPMJ), 25(6).
- Spiegel, M., Schmiedel, T., & vom Brocke, J. (2017). What makes change harder – or easier. MIT Sloan Management Review, 58(3), 88-89.
- Schneider, C., Weinmann, M., & vom Brocke, J. (2018). Digital Nudging–Influencing Choices by Using Interface Design. Communications of the ACM, 61(7), 67-73.
- Whelan, E., McDuff, D., Gleasure, R., vom Brocke, J. (2018). How Emotion-Sensing Technology¬¬ Can Reshape the Workplace. MIT Sloan Management Review, 2018.
- Tumbas, S., Berente, N., & vom Brocke, J. (2018). Digital Innovation and Institutional Entrepreneurship: Chief Digital Officers’ Perspective of their Emerging Role. Journal of Information Technology (JIT), 33(3), 188-202.
- Tumbas, S., Berente, N., vom Brocke, J. (2017), Three Types of Chief Digital Officers and the Reasons Organizations Adopt the Role, Management Information Systems Quarterly Executive (MISQe), 16(2), 121-134.
- vom Brocke, J., Seidel, S. & Recker, J. (Eds.). (2012).Green Business Process Management: Towards the Sustainable Enterprise. Heidelberg: Springer.
- vom Brocke, J. & Schmiedel, T. (Eds.). (2015). Business Process Management – Driving Innovation in a Digital World. Heidelberg: Springer.
- J. vom Brocke & J. Mendling, Rosemann (Eds.). (2021). Digital Transformation – Strategy, Processes and Execution – Business Process Management Cases (Vol. 2). Berlin et al.: Springer